Explanation of Acts 13:48 by JW McGarvey.
2 Men sit the same pew and listen to the same Gospel Message. One is awake to the importance of the next life, the other is absorbed in the life that is now, that man turns a deaf ear to the message and becomes what the Apostle Paul calls "unworthy of eternal life" (Acts 13:46). The other man will believe the message and do whatever it takes to gain the next life.
1 Corinthians 12:3 - Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God says "Jesus is accursed" and no one can say "Jesus is Lord" except by the Holy Spirit"
We may think it strange that the Christians in Corinth would say or follow a person who would say such a thing; however consider the people of our own times who consider themselves faithful but deny many of the fundamental doctrines of Christianity.
Jerry Bridges: "God’s grace is not given to make us feel better but to glorify Him. Modern society’s subtle, underlying agenda is good feelings. We want the pain to go away. We want to feel better in difficult situations. But God wants us to glorify Him in those circumstances. Good feelings may or may not come, but that’s not the issue. The issue is whether we honor God by the way we respond to our circumstances..."
‘When you interact online, you fundamentally are interacting with only yourself. It is a solipsistic endeavor. You fundamentally choose which comments to respond to; unlike the real world, where a conversation occurs between two people, you can instantly drive into a conversation whenever you see fit, and leave whenever you wish also.
Therefore, the choice of which conversation, which comment, is entirely yours. And since the comments available are literally never-ending, you have the ultimate choice as to which you are responding. Therefore, every conversation you have is with a version of a person you have constructed in your head.
This is what enables people to be mean and rude on the internet. It’s because they are talking to a construct which is fundamentally in their own head, often times with their own nasty internal conflicts applied.
This is also the fundamental mistake people make about the online world being a place where “discourse” can change anyone’s internal landscape. It cannot, because it every discourse on the internet is by definition completely a subset of the ego of the single individual.’
Jesus instructed, "To him who strikes you on the cheek, offer also the other; and from him who takes away your cloak, don't withhold your coat also." - Luke 6:29
Followers of Jesus are to act altruistically, looking out for others more than ourselves. Yes, we get screwed over, but that's not the point. We need to show the unconditional love for others that God has shown for us.
Jesus said, "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."
If we are so loved by God that He sent His Son for us, why should we not do the same? We must do for others what we would want them to do for us.
> But God commends his own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
If Jesus showed the ultimate act of love for us when we were still evil, how much more should we do even lesser acts of love for others?
Are your riches your only consolation? – Email Devotionals https://emaildevotionals.com/2021/03/28/are-your-riches-your-only-consolation-2/
> Riches can be a great blessing or they can keep you from heaven.
Instagram is one of the most privacy invasive apps.
If you want to leave Big Tech, start here: https://tutanota.com/blog/posts/how-to-leave-google-gmail/ 😉
Newspaper clipping (no date, but old) found in a Bible in a box in our Church storage
Among church members:
5% do not exist
10% cannot be found
20% never pray
25% never read the Bible
30% never attend services
40% never give
50% never attend Sunday School
60% never attend PM services
70% never give to missions
75% never engage in activity
80% never attend prayer meeting
90% never have family alter
95% never win a soul
90% of the worlds Christians are among the 9% who speak English
94% of the preachers minister to the 9% who speak English
91% of the world is non-English speaking
10% of the worlds Christians among the 91%
6% of the preachers minister to the 91%
4% of all giving finances missionary work to the 91%
1 Timothy 1 - Coffman Commentaries on the Bible - Bible Commentaries - StudyLight.org https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/eng/bcc/1-timothy-1.html
THE VALUE OF MOSES' LAW
1. Its great prophecies point to the coming of Christ, some 333 of these being the most convincing evidence on earth to the effect that Jesus our Lord is indeed the divine Messiah "whose goings forth are known from of old, even from everlasting" (Micah 5:2).
2. The old Israel is a type of the new; and the study of the history of the old Israel affords many glimpses of what is to be expected in the unfolding history of the new Israel which is the church of the living God. As there was an apostasy in the old Israel, so there is in the new; and there are doubtless many other similarities that shall in time be unfolded.
3. The love, mercy, forgiveness and patience of God in dealing with the saints of the Old Testament are valid and certain pledges of his same dealings with the children of God in the new dispensation. "The things which were written aforetime were written for our comfort" (Romans 15:4).
4. The only logical and intelligent account of the creation of all things is found in the books of Moses (the Pentateuch). Without the revelation of the Old Testament in this sector, people could not with confidence know the story of creation.
5. The course of hardening and rebellion among the pre-Christian Gentile nations is fully evident in the Old Testament, the same being a divinely inspired record, a test case, an authentic example of that which always happens when a nation turns away from God.
6. The psychology of both righteous and wicked minds is abundantly presented throughout the Old Testament, as seen in the compromises proposed by Pharaoh, the proposals to Nehemiah, etc.
7. The richest deposit of devotional material in existence is to be found in the Old Testament; and the things enumerated here are but samplings of the benefits to be derived from knowledge and study of the Old Testament.
God | Forthright Fellowship Room http://fellowshiproom.com/god/
> What is your concept of God? Do you believe that he exists? Do you take refuge in him and his word? Or do you believe that he is a fairy tale that someone made up to explain the impossible? Do you believe that he is a crutch to lean on when you need him, but when you are well, you can set him aside?
Just an Appalachian Christian that keeps bees and loves Jesus.
The Bible is all we need and Psalm 69:6 keeps me on point........and I also love Russian Literature
A family-friendly social network (Mastodon instance) devoted to the new life found in Christ.